Dealing with Travel Desk Experience

>> Saturday, August 13, 2011

Situation Summary : I efficiently web checked-in for my manager. Lil' did I knw that thr would be a last minute changes of his program and that he requested to change to an earlier flight. There goes my prob....

TD - Travel Desk staff
OA - 'orang atasan' (supervisor)
Me - me 


[I explained details and situation to TD then asked for advice on what options I have or what I can do...]
Me : Hi, I would like to know what can I do to change time of the flight if I did web check-in already?
TD : Oh, what ah? You check-in already? Like that we cannot change oh, because we cannot go into the system already.
Me : Ooh, okay. So, anything that I can do in order for me to change the time for this case?
TD : We cannot do anything, you must call AA and ask them to open the ticket then we can go into the system to make changes.
Me : Okay, so once I contact AA then I confirm back with you?
TD : Ya, once you ask them open then we can go into the system.

In between : While trying to figure how the heck to contact AA as I double-check from their website, you can only either livechat with AA or call the premium line 600 85 9999. I can't call AA at all but managed to livechat with them. Suddenly got a call from "orang atasan (OA)", queried alot and said that I should not call AA because it's not my job instead it is TD's. I explained and said I did asked TD but they insisted that I call. (So how la if TD don't want to call? What can I do? Doh....)

AskAirAsia said - The Premium Line provides live voice support to our guests. It is available to all Malaysian telecommunications network providers: Telekom, Celcom, Maxis or DiGi. Services are only available from 7am to 7pm daily at 600 85 9999. Please note that Premium Line charges of RM1.95/minute will apply.


After tried many options, then I called back TD and reconfirm the AA contact number. At first, she said they always use the premium line to contact AA. I said why I cannot? Is it because I do  not know how to operate this phone..? Correct me if I am wrong, you dial this, press this and that and can call already, right?

TD  : Ya ya, that is correct la.
Me  : But I can't contact them oh....I can only livechat with them.
TD  : err, honestly we never call the number la. But we always give customer the number and ask them change, and we will go into the system and change for them.

(I guess she wanted to say that all this while we have no problems with that. Aah, well but I can clearly listen to you asking your colleague for AA number and background sound of keyboard typing, and asked her is it the 600-xx- ar? then you told me that is the number that you always use/give)

Hmm..... Guess I did not get any clear information on your side. I stayed back to make sure I solve this problem and make it clear with my manager about it whether the time can be changed or not. However, the TD already went home and the "orang atasan" also cannot be reached.

Next morning, OA called me and asked about the problem whether it is solved already or not. I said no, but since there is no choice we have to stick with the old booking because of bla bla bla.

OA  : I will talk to TD. You should not call AA, is them (duhh, like I did not hear that from you yesterday...)
OA   : But, why did you check-in early ah?
Me   : Because today already near weekend, Monday is the last day before departure, and AA server always down with problems especially when you want to check-in; unpredictable. So, I don't want to do last minute, that's why I check-in early.
OA   : But because sometimes they always have last minute changes, like this...maybe today you can check in instead of yesterday....So, just telling, next maybe you can check in not so early...
Me    : Ok... Sorry.....

(I checked-in morning, changes was informed later afternoon, so it's my fault. Let's say, I did not make the check-in, I make it Friday, suddenly Friday afternoon got changes. So, I guess it'll be my fault also cus I should check in Monday right. So, let's say I wait until Monday, suddenly the unpredictable AA site does not allow me to check in because of etc etc etc. At the end, the manager did not get the boarding pass. So, OA? my fault also right? Predictable much.)

Not long after.... TD called...

TD    : So, what the AA said? Can or not. You got see my email? (Email written : What AA said? (summary))
Me    : Oh, AA said cannot.
TD    : Why cannot? What AA said why cannot?
Me    : Because I checked-in already. (Didn't I told you that was my problem earlier? OMG!!)
TD    : Naah, Ya la...is cannot 1. Because already check-in ma, we cannot go into the system to change 1.....
Me    : I know... that is why I asked you. But you said if I contact AA and asked them to open the ticket, you can make the changes. So, I followed what your instruction and called them since you said that is how normally you do.

TD    :  Yaa...but only for certain cases you know.... (No, I don't know cus I am so stupid like that! I told you my whole problem and the situation clearly and that is what you told me to do. You did not mention whatever special case, certain case, or whatsoever case. It is your job as a TD to know whether this thing CAN or CANNOT. That's it. One answer. You did not give me 1 answer, you told me can, if I contact AA........ remember???? I was still putting hope and crossing my finger that I can change with your advice eventhough as far as I'm concern, I don't think it can be changed. The only reason I contacted AA is because I thought I should trust a TD staff)

Me     : Ok lohh.... So, can you just email me saying that "No changes can be made due to secured booking" (Secured booking can also means that the booking is already secured with a boarding pass IMHO)
TD      : No, I don't write like that...I'll put because you already web check-in. Ok?
Me     : OK!   (Fine...... I'm so fine with that! You just want to make it clear that it is not your fault. Fine lorrr... I know is my fault. But you made me turning "1 big round" and wasted my time? Aren't you suppose to do something on that?)

-The End-

Conclusion is that I felt really guilty because I cannot help my manager to amend the flight or get another new ticket for an earlier flight because of company stingy policy. I understand that he wants to go back early to rest, to be with his family, and also because the next morning he needs to go work early. Well, I know Cathay Pacific and MAS have earlier flights but I did not tell him because I know the company does not allow to buy a new expensive tix.

Solution  :  Apologize for the web check-in. Felt sorry for the inconvenience caused. Admit my early check-in is the cause and will amend it next time. :)

I learned not to be defensive. An apology with an excuse is simply not an apology. Period.

What do you first do when you learn to swim? You make mistakes, do you not? And what happens? You make other mistakes, and when you have made all the mistakes you possibly can without drowning - and some of them many times over - what do you find? That you can swim? Well - life is just the same as learning to swim! Do not be afraid of making mistakes, for there is no other way of learning how to live!

- Alfred Adler

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP